mydramalist.info

What do you consider a good character?

kirtil 22 Jun, 2015
@Random chan I didn't watch it but I read about it and it kind of filled me with sadness. And shame too in a way, after all I still watch anime and it's all thanks to him. My first deliberate anime (technically it was heidi. but I had no idea it was an anime back then) was one of his, laputa or nausica I can't even remember now, but if I hadn't watched it back then, I doubt I'd look for more and become the fan I am today.

Still, I don't think I can ever think of him as was. I feel anime would lose much of it's glory in my eyes. I always believed anime was a better medium than movies to convey ideas, thoughts and the roots of my belief relied on him for so many years.
Random chan 22 Jun, 2015
@kirtil Yup, I agree. Although I don't like everything Miyazaki made in his career, but I can't say anything bad about his works still. You know, there is always hope he will come back some day :o. He used to say he wants to quit a lot but always came back... who knows XD. I know Kon Satoshi will not come back (;_;) but Miyazaki might. He's one of the only people who were really able to make amazing animations like this and fight stereotypes of characters and stories and just do it his way. But even if he will not come back to make animations, I think that he still left a mark and made amazing things so although he is in the 'was' zone, he is still there, in a way. I really recommend the documentary, it was really fun to watch even for a non documentary fan I am (and after it I watched a lot of other documentaries XD).
zaharisa 22 Jun, 2015
For me a good character is a character that can make me involved and think/feel in his direction. It can move me in his ways and I can feel the same way as him/her. I don't always want for them to be 100 % logical.. actually- I prefer them having some % emotions & some % logic. Emotions adds a quirk to the logic and twist the angle a bit..

however.. sometimes the writers don't know how to balance emotion and logic or don't have the time to change the character and in just the last two episodes- the sister suddently changes her logic and randomly just starts loving her sister after trying to kill her for the previous 15 episodes or so. That is the kind of twist that I hate.. /If not made gradually and carefully with both- logic and emotion/. That is what a call a badly-created personage. Screenwriter's fault ;(

Also- the character should have some of the capabilities it represents. Like- a doctor should be able to understand some desease and a polecemans should be able to wear gloves at crime-scenes. I am nasty about those details.

Also- I am a fan of the slightly pushover stereotipes.. but I hate the scenes in which they make them look miserable...like praying to a person to not kick them out. I also hate how in some korean and other asian dramas screenwritters think that it's cute if the girl pukes all over the guy / the guy's face or if he sees her puke.. That is just simply disgusting. So .. /just No.. No, screenwriters!/
In the end I guess I mostly enjoy wild cards- a personages that can't be easily predicted.. and surprise me, but still manage to obtain some dignity.

The fanservise doesn't bother me that much, because..
if we should compare real visions to anime- them my mom would be a loli and I would be a middium-breast and taller (due to my way taller dad and my grandma's ...). .. As I am saying THAT much ...
before it didn't bothered me in animation... sometimes I find that bothers me in dramas, when the main lead and supporting /males/ just randomly starts undressing and then again- and then- the shower scene... and then swiming at the pool sceneand then- the onsen scene. :/
Though sometimes I am just too involved with the drama to notice the fanservice XD and I only read other viewers complains bellow XD, sometimes it does bothers me.
/I also hate it when I read stupid replies of users who says that the main shouldn't have been older/younger and so on.. or should have been a model. Probably- it should have been played by a model- if it portrayed a model.. but otherwise.. if
the actor is believable in the role he portrayes- the vision does not matter -> UNLESS being specific by the previously written book/manga- then I will be nasty about looks too./
sorry- got off-topic out here./

BTW- Miyazaki fan here too. Favourites Mononoke hime & Howl's moving castle. :)
Random chan 23 Jun, 2015
@zaharisa this is what I meant by logic: "in just the last two episodes- the sister suddently changes her logic and randomly just starts loving her sister after trying to kill her for the previous 15 episodes or so. That is the kind of twist that I hate.. /If not made gradually and carefully with both- logic and emotion/. " It just doesn't make any sense for a character to act a certain way unless there was some thing that lead them to do it.