mydramalist.info

New Drama Adaptation Of GTO; First Lead Role For AKIRA In A Drama Series

akiraka 23 May, 2012

It was announced May 23, 2012, that dance and vocal group EXILE performer AKIRA (real name Kurosawa Ryouhei) would receive his first starring role in a drama series in what will be a new rendition of the manga GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka).

The manga GTO, about an ex-gangster turned teacher, was authored by Fujisawa Tooru and published from 1997 through to 2002. Years later, a second series entitled "GTO SHONAN 14DAYS" ran from 2009 until 2011. In addition to an anime adaptation (1999-2000), it was originally live-action dramatized in 1998 in a series which starred actor Sorimachi Takashi achieving an average (Kanto area) viewer rating of 28.3% with its final episode recording a mark of 35.7%.

The upcoming drama series will be an adaptation of the entire GTO manga works. Additionally it will include new storylines and characters not found in the previous adaptation. Takimoto Miori will play the role of the heroine Fuyutsuki Azusa, Yamamoto Yuusuke will be Onizuka's friend and policeman Saejima, Tayama Ryousei will appear as the vice principal, and Kuroki Hitomi will take on the part of school board chairman and principal Sakurai Ryouko. Some of the new characters will be played by Shirota Yuu, Kawaguchi Haruna, Takada Shou, and Morimoto Shintarou.

The drama will broadcast Tuesday nights at 22:00, beginning in July.

Source 1
Source 2 (Network Info)
Source 3 (Official Site)

Tags: gto, gto, gto drama special, gto, Akira, Takimoto Miori, Yamamoto Yuusuke, Tayama Ryousei, Kuroki Hitomi, Shirota Yuu, Kawaguchi Haruna, Takada Shou, Morimoto Shintarou
zaharisa 23 May, 2012
It would be nice to see GTO again and in a new adaptation, but I wonder what I could expect from the main actor. Well.. can't wait. :)
sweettears 08 Jul, 2012
Me either!