03 Sep, 2018
16 Sep, 2018
26 Dec, 2018
26 Dec, 2018
26 Dec, 2018
13 Jan, 2019
19 watching 266 completed 42 on hold 252 planned 21 dropped
600 listed titles 127.5 days watched
Compatibility too low to display
no shared titles
In search for more biseinen, I stumbled on the manga "Mars." Unable to find it in anime, my "first" drama was Mars Zhan Shen. I'd seen a couple of other live action tv shows but Mars (despite being Taiwanese, not Korean) was the first to hook me into Makjang land.
No matter how much I love the One True Couple/Pair (OTC/OTP), I often suffer from Second Male Lead (or worse) syndrome. Some guys on my "list" include but are not limited to:
- Joe/Bryan Cheng as Kui in "The Rose"
- "Leader" Kim Hyun "Hyunnie" Joong as Yoon Ji Hoo in the Korean dramatization, "Boys Before/Over Flowers"
- "Sunny" Bae as Jun Se Oppa in "Brilliant Legacy" was the first character to ever make me want to scream "Oppa!" even though I know I'm not allowed as I'm not of Korean ethnicity and thus am excluded from "Jung/Jeong/Ceng/Cheong." In any case, I would have dropped the show a long time ago if not for him despite loving Lee Seung Ki/Hwaniie in "My Girlfriend is a Gumiho"
- Jeong Hwa as Sin Wu in "You're Beautiful" was a beautiful surprise
- Weok (forever Waffle Sun Ki to me) as Jung in "Marry Me, Mary (Stayed Out All Night)"
When not in Makjang land (my term for watching dramas), I can be found at myanimelist, anidb and anime-planet under the same username.
I'm ridiculously impressionable--for example, although I have roller-skated and bladed since childhood, I didn't take up aggressive blading until after watching an arc featuring a mere side character in Eyeshield 21--which is why I don't have cable television and I hate/avoid ads and commercials. Still, Korean dramas have found an ingenious way around my efforts to thwart advertisers: product placement! LOL. It really is much more effective than pure ads and commercials though as I seriously pay way too much attention to stuff used in dramas, not just the collectible necklaces and plushies, but clothes, songs, places, phones, books, gadgets, etc. I get irritated when I notice technology that isn't widely available in the US and my language studies have been jumpstarted more than once by my efforts to obtain and/or understand various items, especially a book or song that hasn't been translated into any of the languages upon which I currently have a somewhat decent grasp.
Speaking of jump-starts, foreign media of all kinds (not just drama and anime) has, perhaps not always been the beginning of but, certainly sharpened my interests in fashion (saree, kimono, kaftan, hanfu, cheongsam/qipao are just a few that I don), flute, hair styling and various martial arts.
P.S. I love this profile image made by Random Chan. It used to be the default on the older version of MDL. I'm NEVER changing it. Thanks Random Chan!